Join our Team
We are searching for the next person to assist with our agency’s family literacy programs! This is a full-time position. Salary range is in-line with the non-profit sector.
In your cover letter please outline:
- community experience,
- qualifications and experience facilitating community programs,
- possible start date,
- and salary expectations.
Posting closes March 12, 2020 1:00 pm
Family Literacy Facilitator
The Family Literacy Facilitator works in collaboration with the Family Literacy Coordinator and Program Manager in providing facilitation and evaluation for READ Saskatoon’s Family Literacy programs and events.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Coordinate and deliver family literacy programming and events
- Work with community partners to deliver events and programs throughout the community that meet our target demographics;
- Facilitate programs with parents and children;
- Prepare program materials;
- Document project activities by monitoring the progress of the project and adjust as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project activities;
- Gather data, program evaluations and personal anecdotes.
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project;
- Review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the project standards and expectations of READ Saskatoon.
- Write monthly, interim and final reports on the project for management and for funders;
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks;
- Ensure evaluation data is entered in a timely manner;
- Report evaluation findings to the Program Manager and recommend changes to enhance the program, as appropriate.
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time and at the required level of quality.
- Allow a reasonable amount of time to ensure data collection and evaluation is completed. This may mean no programming during December or in the last month of contract;
- Work with the Program Coordinator to evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase.
- University degree, education or experience in a related subject
- Provide a current criminal record check with vulnerable sector search
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Ability to facilitate adult and family literacy programs and workshops;
- Prior experience in working with parents, preschool children, toddlers and infants;
- Good knowledge of early childhood and adult learning principles;
- Understanding and appreciation of cultural adaptation;
- Ability to monitor and assess learning progress and provide objective feedback on achievements and learning process;
- Proven skill at developing positive and collaborative working relationships with a variety of individuals to support learning;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain relationships with clients while setting appropriate boundaries and acting as a role model.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- The Family Literacy Facilitator works in an office environment, but the purpose of the project may sometimes take them to nonstandard workplaces.
- The Family Literacy Facilitator works a standard work week but may be required to work some evenings and weekends to meet project milestones.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle mandatory.