We are Growing! Join Our Team
We are searching for the next person to assist with our agency’s volunteer management and lead our trainings and workshops. This is a full-time position.
In your cover letter please outline:
- community experience,
- qualifications and experience in facilitation and training,
- possible start date,
- and salary expectations.
Posting closes Friday, September 25, 2020 at noon.
Submit resume to:
Cecilia Mryglod, Office Manager, READ Saskatoon
#2-706 Duchess Street
Saskatoon, SK S7K 0R3
Volunteer Coordinator & LIteracy Facilitator and Trainer
This individual oversees the agency’s recruitment, retention, and management of volunteers. They provide guidance and support to READ Saskatoon volunteers to ensure the timely and coordinated planning and implementation of their involvement in all 4 areas of READ Saskatoon’s programs: adult, family, children’s, and financial literacy. This role includes training volunteers, ensuring commitments are being met, and participating in program evaluation.
They also are responsible for program delivery that relates to adult literacy skills development, as well as the training of community staff throughout the city and province in READ Saskatoon’s programs.
In addition, they attend community meetings relevant to job responsibilities and provide guidance, support, resources, and tools to other literacy organizations in the province.
- Coordinate and Administrate Volunteers
- Conduct regular ongoing evaluations of literacy activities delivered by volunteers, and implement improvements as necessary;
- Promote READ Saskatoon to gain community support of the organization;
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit suitable volunteers;
- Support the volunteer needs of the Adult, Children’s, Financial and Family Literacy programs by assisting with volunteer recruitment;
- Ensure proper screening of all volunteers is completed prior to utilizing them;
- Ensure basic understanding of other READ Saskatoon programs in order to best utilize volunteers; this may mean participating in trainings or on-site visits;
- Oversee collection and maintenance of volunteer records for statistical purposes while adhering to confidentiality and privacy policies of READ Saskatoon;
- Coordinate volunteer assignments for agency programs and events as needed;
- Ensure that volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Facilitation and Training
- Create and facilitate informative and engaging literacy workshops for adult literacy learners;
- Work with READ Saskatoon staff and community partners to prepare, promote, and deliver literacy trainings;
- Gather and record data, program evaluations and personal anecdotes;
- Review the quality of the work completed on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the project standards and expectations of READ Saskatoon.
- Administrative Functions
- Ensure all trainings and programs are promoted and well-attended;
- Ensure that program deliverables are on time and of high quality;
- Write monthly, interim and final reports on the project for management and for funders;
- Develop, administer, and review policies and procedures which apply to facilitating, training and volunteer activities to ensure they reflect the overall values and standards of the organization.
Education and Certification
- University degree in education, B.Ed. preferred
- Current Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Search
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding and appreciation of cultural adaptation;
- Ability to develop positive and collaborative working relationships with a variety of stakeholders (parent groups, children, community-based organizations, partners);
- Knowledge of early childhood and adult learning principles;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with volunteers while setting appropriate boundaries;
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Practical experience in training and development is essential
- Experience in program management, coordination, and event planning
- Experience working with parents and school aged children
- Volunteer recruitment and management experience
- Experience in literacy is an asset
- Valid drivers license and access to a vehicle is required