Children are 3-7 times more likely to go on to post-secondary education if there is a savings account in their name. READ Saskatoon hosts a workshop for frontline staff and community groups to introduce the benefits of opening a Registered Education Savings Plan.
The one-hour presentation covers:
- how to talk with families about their child’s financial future
- how building a financial future fits into the Sustainable Livelihood model
- the various types of savings plans
- eligibility for “free” money available from the government
- what documents are needed and where to get them
- the steps to open an RESP
- provide an idea of the questions that a family seeking to open an RESP can ask the provider
Finally, this presentation will clear up any myths about education saving plans families may have heard and answer questions about who can contribute and the different ways the funds can be used.
Who is this presentation for?
- any parent with a child born after 2004
- staff who work with either of the above groups
Want to learn more?