Barb's Nomination Speech
My name is Barb and I am very proud to be here tonight to nominate my wonderful tutor Ivanoe.
In fact, it is because of her that I was able to write my nomination letter. I want to share that letter with you all now:
“Ivanoe to me is not only lovely to be with every week, there are also quite a few assets.
- She is very patient with me and is fully aware that I’ve been in a very bad accident. She is patient with me when I make the same mistake and helps me regardless.
- My favourite subject, English, is also hers, (go figure) and what’s more, she knows everything about it!
- There is something about her which I was just fascinated about when I discovered it. We meet at the library every week. A lot of the time, while we are working, somebody is looking all over the place for a book in our section. Ivanoe pauses and asks, “May I help you?” When they tell her what they’re looking for, she shows them right where to find it. When I asked her how she knew, she said, “I used to work here.” She is always helping.
- I’ll never stop loving her accent and her graceful mannerisms from South America. What is more is the fact that she used to be a teacher there. (Go figure!)
- She is also humble enough to be my friend, what is more is that she is the kind of friend I adore!”
I want to share something else with you all that really surprised me. One day I learned that she wasn’t getting paid for this. I was blown away by the fact that she is giving her time to me for free. What a wonderful gift!
I am very proud and happy that she is receiving this award tonight. She certainly deserves it!
Thank you very much to READ Saskatoon and to Dakota Dunes Community Development Corporation for the opportunity to learn with Ivanoe.