Code of Ethics
READ Saskatoon has adopted this Code of Ethics to guide its board members, committee members, staff, and volunteers in their conduct when acting on behalf of READ Saskatoon. This Code of Ethics contains broad principles reflecting the type of behaviour READ Saskatoon expects towards its members, donors, employees, peers and the public. This Code of Ethics is not intended as a stand-alone policy. It represents READ Saskatoon’s commitment to high standards and should be regarded as a minimum for expectations of performance. Board members, committee members, staff, and volunteers should:
1. Conduct READ Saskatoon’s business in accordance with applicable legislation, regulations and fiduciary responsibilities, including: The Non-profit Corporations Act, 1995 (Saskatchewan), The Saskatchewan Employment Act, The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and Saskatchewan Human Rights Legislation.
2. Comply with READ Saskatoon’s bylaws and policies, including the Anti- harassment Policy, Conflict of Interest Policy and Confidentiality Policy.
3. Act in the best interests of READ Saskatoon and avoid situations where their personal interests or relationships interfere with acting in good faith on behalf of READ Saskatoon.
4. Maintain the highest standards of confidentiality regarding information obtained directly or indirectly through their involvement with READ Saskatoon. This includes information about volunteers, board members, funders, donors, related organizations, partners, employees, contractors and job applicants.
5. Not discriminate by reason of race, religious belief, colour, gender, mental or physical disability, marital status, ancestry, age, place of origin, family status, source of income or sexual orientation.
6. Conduct themselves professionally when representing READ Saskatoon and not harass or intimidate or behave in an offensive manner.
7. Listen to our members and stakeholders and make all reasonable efforts to satisfy their needs and concerns within the scope of our mission.
8. Refrain from speaking on behalf of READ Saskatoon unless authorized to do so.
9. Follow READ Saskatoon’s prescribed policies and processes relating to internal communications when seeking information about READ Saskatoon, interacting with a staff member, volunteer or board member, and when lodging a complaint relating to a staff member, volunteer or board member.
10. For the Board of Directors, provide credible and effective oversight of READ Saskatoon’s work without personal bias.
11. Not accept commissions, gifts, payments, loans, promises of future benefits or other items of value from anyone who has or may seek some benefit from READ Saskatoon in return, excepting occasional gifts of nominal value that are in keeping with good business ethics.
12. Act at all times in accordance with the highest ethical standards and in the best interests of READ Saskatoon, its members, stakeholders, donors and reputation.
13. Honour READ Saskatoon’s commitments and promises to the best of our ability.
14. Be accountable to adhering to this Code of Ethics. Failure to abide by this Code of Ethics may result in legal, punitive or corrective action.
March 2016 revised & adopted
17th May, 2019
07th May, 2019
04th April, 2019